Aponogeton longiplumulosus from Madagascar has large, fluted leaves (35-60 cm long), making it a wonderful plant which can be recommended for large aquariums (the whole plant becomes 25-40 cm wide).
The bulb can be covered with the bottom layer, as long as the sprout tip is at the soil surface. It is relatively undemanding and makes no special demands on water quality. A Nutrition capsule placed under the bulb enhances the growth considerably. It also flowers frequently, making it a beautiful addition to any large open aquarium.
It stops growing at regular intervals, but normally starts again after a few weeks of dormancy.
The bulb of the Longiplumulosus from should be only partially buried.
- Do not make drastic changes to the aquarium. Unstable parameters will result in melt and rotting of the aquarium plant.
- Aponogeton grows fairly large making this aquarium plant suitable for larger planted aquariums.
- If received in a pot, please remove all rock wool from the roots. Where possible we try and ship without pots or rockwool. Due to them being non-biodegradable we prefer to propagate in an environmentally conscious way.
- CO2 will generally yield better growth rates.
- Stables water conditions are a must, changes should occur over a period of time in order to reduce chances of melting etc.